Dedicated Representation for the Victims of Illinois Motorcycle Accidents
There are millions of registered motorcycles in the United States today, providing an alternative method of transportation, recreation, and sport for many. However, for riders involved in motorcycle accidents, catastrophic injuries or even death can forever change the lives of victims and their families. Do you know where to turn if you’re seriously injured in a motorcycle accident in Illinois?
Why Choose Lane & Lane After a Motorcycle Accident?
The skilled and knowledgeable attorneys at Lane & Lane are state-wide, nationally, and internationally recognized as some of America’s premier personal injury lawyers. Our team of attorneys has over 130 years of combined experience helping Illinois victims assert their rights after serious injury accidents. Being named as “Leading Illinois Attorneys” and “Super Lawyers,” as well as being added to Primerus, an internationally recognized association of law firms, stands as a testament to our dedication to personal injury law and to our clients.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Over the last decade, more than 34,000 individuals have been killed and more than 1.2 million have been seriously injured in motorcycle accidents. Motorcyclist-related factors—like inexperience, alcohol use, and speeding—account for some accidents. However, many of these accidents and injuries are caused by the poor choices of other drivers. Some factors that contribute to these preventable and unnecessary motorcycle accidents include:
- Automobile driver aggression or “road rage” against motorcyclists. Some drivers let their emotions take over when they’re behind the wheel, causing them to break traffic laws or drive recklessly out of anger.
- Other motorists’ failure to yield while turning into oncoming traffic. Year after year, a driver’s failure to yield the right-of-way is consistently one of the leading causes of motorcycle accidents the Chicago area. In many cases, this is due to most drivers’ simple failure to see motorcycles. Most drivers scan traffic for cars and trucks—not motorcycles—when they must yield the right of way. When they don’t see a vehicle, they assume it is safe to go. The resulting accidents can cause extremely serious and even life-threatening injuries to motorcycle riders.
- Running red lights or missing stop signs. If a motorcycle rider is legally passing through an intersection and a driver runs a red light, the rider—who is following traffic laws—often suffers the most from the collision. Even if riders are stopped at a sign or light, they can be seriously hurt when rear-ended by a car that isn’t following traffic signals or laws. Intersections can be very dangerous places for motorcycle riders. Other drivers often fail to see motorcycles, making them unwitting targets even when they are sitting still.
- Construction and road debris. With the amount of traffic on our roadways, road construction on Chicago-area streets and highways is in full swing all year long. Construction crews are required to follow strict guidelines with regard to how the construction zone is set up in order to ensure the safety of workers and motorists. When they fail in their responsibility, they can be held liable for the injuries and property damage that result from accidents. Equipment and debris blocking a traffic lane, inadequate warning signs, missing or poorly placed barriers, or vague or misleading temporary road markings can cause motorcycle riders to be thrown from their vehicles and suffer serious injuries. These cases can be extremely complex because they often involve suits against a city, county, state, or even federal government agency.
- Bike and helmet manufacturing defects. Sometimes, motorcyclists are hurt because the gear they count on to protect them is defective or not thoroughly tested. If a problem with a motorcycle, helmet, or other gear causes an accident, the company may be held responsible for overlooking riders’ safety.
At the law firm of Lane & Lane, our attorneys have successfully represented many victims of motorcycle accidents. We have a history of securing multimillion-dollar verdicts and settlements in serious injury cases. Our track record of success often puts us in a stronger negotiating position as we fight to reach a fair settlement in your case.
How Can a Motorcycle Accident Attorney Help You?
Injury victims have their lives turned upside down in an instant, going from a normal life to facing significant hospital bills, lost wages, the inability to provide for their families, and many other concerns.
An experienced motorcycle accident attorney can help you understand your rights after a very serious injury, as well as fight on your behalf for the compensation you deserve. When accident victims hire Lane & Lane, we work diligently to resolve their cases in the most expedient manner possible. If you have been affected by a serious motorcycle accident in Illinois, we may be able to help you collect the fair and full compensation you deserve. This may include damages for:
- Medical expenses, including surgeries, ongoing treatment, medication, therapy, and rehabilitation
- Lost income from past and potential future earnings
- Pain and suffering
It is not unusual to be a little hesitant to contact an attorney, but you should know that you can get answers with no cost and no obligation as you start to investigate your rights. If you have questions concerning your Illinois motorcycle accident, your free case evaluation is just one simple phone call away. Please call our Chicago-based personal injury law firm at 888-484-9881 today, or use the contact form on this page for a prompt response from our team.