It Can Take a Lifetime to Recover From a Brain or Spinal Cord Injury
Brain damage and spinal cord injuries are among the most tragic injuries a person can experience. These injuries can lead to serious and lasting physical, psychological, and cognitive disabilities, coma, or even death. Brain injury victims are often forever changed in their personalities, and their lives and the lives of their families may be affected forever.
The Cost of Serious Brain Injuries
A brain or spinal cord injury is not only devastating to the victim of an accident, but to his immediate family. Insurance companies will pay out fairly quickly for lesser injuries like broken bones and abrasions, because the amounts involved are relatively small. But over the course of the victim’s lifetime, a brain or spinal cord injury can cost millions of dollars, since the following expenses may be involved:
- Years of physical therapy, to learn how to walk, write, or speak again
- 24-hour home care by a licensed attendant
- Long-term stays in a nursing home or rehabilitation facility
- If the victim is in a coma, the cost of life-support and other medical equipment
- If the victim is a child, the cost of alternative, one-one-one schooling and intensive therapy
- The cost of wheelchairs and home repairs, to the make the victim’s residence wheelchair accessible
If you or a loved one has suffered a serious brain injury, you will face a number of ongoing expenses, such as medical care, rehabilitation, assistance with the tasks of daily living and more. It’s important to remember that “incidental” expenses can add up quickly, especially over the course of years or decades. Wheelchairs, medical procedures, and medications may be fully covered by insurance, but what about transportation to or from the hospital or long-term stays in a residential facility? Your insurance may pay 90 percent of these expenses, but the remaining 10 percent can easily add up to tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Compensation for Victims of Brain and Spine Injuries
If you or a loved one has sustained a severe brain trauma or spinal cord injury as the result of an accident that was not your fault, you owe it to yourself to collect damages from the responsible party, in order to pay for treatment, missed work, and pain and suffering.
Over the years, our attorneys have recovered a substantial number of verdicts and settlements for victims of brain and spinal cord injuries. When you have us on your side, we will work tirelessly to pursue justice – the full, fair and complete compensation you deserve.
Head Injuries and Traumatic Brain Injury Cases
Not all brain injuries are immediately obvious after an accident. Sometimes, a crash, a fall or other traumas can cause a closed head injury, in which the skull was not fractured, but the brain was damaged. Brain injuries that result from trauma, a sudden impact with the head or exposure to a toxic substance are known as traumatic brain injuries (TBI). This kind of injury makes up the majority of personal injury litigation involving brain damage.
We handle head injury cases involving all types of traumas and accidents, including but not limited to the following:
- Car Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Public Transportation Accidents
- Work Accidents
- Medical Malpractice
Contact Lane & Lane Today For a Free Consultation
If you’re ready to take action to obtain justice, please contact our Chicago-based team of personal injury attorneys today. Call us at 888-484-9881 or contact us through our website.